Phoebe Cates has been recognized for her contributions to the entertainment industry with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Here’s everything you need to know about Phoebe Cates, the American former actress.
Must Watch: Putin offers Nuclear Weapons to Everyone
Phoebe Cates is an American former actress who rose to fame in the 1980s for her roles in several popular films, including “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” and “Gremlins.” Born in New York City in 1963, Cates began her career as a model before transitioning to acting. Her natural beauty and on-screen charisma quickly made her a sought-after actress, and she went on to star in a number of hit movies throughout the decade.
Cates’ breakout role came in the 1982 comedy-drama “Fast Times at Ridgemont High,” in which she played Linda Barrett, a popular high school student who catches the eye of several of her male classmates. The film, which also starred Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Judge Reinhold, became a cultural touchstone and helped cement Cates’ status as a rising star.
Cates followed up her success in “Fast Times” with a string of memorable roles, including the female lead in the horror-comedy “Gremlins” (1984) and the romantic comedy “Private School” (1983). She also appeared in a number of lesser-known films throughout the decade, and her work earned her a reputation as one of the most talented and versatile actresses of her generation.
Name: Phoebe Cates
Real Name: Phoebe Belle Cates
Profession: American former actress
Date of Birth: 16 July 1963
Age: 59 years old
Birthplace: New York, United States
Height: 170 cm
Weight: 60 kg
Net Worth 2023: $40 million
MUST WATCH: The Truth About COVID-19 Revealed In EU Parliament
Subscribe to GreatGameIndia
Phoebe Cates was born on July 16, 1963, in New York City, to a family with a strong background in the arts. Her father, Joseph Cates, was a television and film producer, while her mother, Lily Cates, was a former Broadway actress and a model. Growing up in a creative household, Cates was exposed to the entertainment industry from a young age and developed a passion for acting.
Cates attended the Professional Children’s School in New York City, a prestigious institution that caters to the educational needs of young performers. She began modeling as a teenager and quickly gained attention for her natural beauty and poise. She was signed by the Wilhelmina modeling agency and appeared in several high-profile fashion campaigns, including a cover shoot for Seventeen magazine.
Despite her success as a model, Cates was determined to pursue a career in acting. She began taking acting classes and landed her first professional role in the 1982 film “Paradise,” a coming-of-age drama in which she played the lead character. Although the film was not a commercial success, it gave Cates valuable experience and helped her gain confidence as an actress.
It was not long before Cates caught the attention of casting directors and producers in Hollywood. In 1982, she landed the role of Linda Barrett in the hit film “Fast Times at Ridgemont High,” which catapulted her to stardom and cemented her status as one of the most promising young actresses of her generation.
Phoebe Cates had a successful career in the entertainment industry throughout the 1980s and early 1990s. Following her breakout role in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High,” she starred in a number of popular films, including the horror-comedy “Gremlins” (1984) and the romantic comedy “Bright Lights, Big City” (1988). She also appeared in the critically acclaimed drama “The Anniversary Party” (2001), which was directed by her husband, Kevin Kline.
In addition to her work on the big screen, Cates also appeared in several popular television shows. She had a recurring role on the hit series “The Twilight Zone” in 1985 and appeared in a number of made-for-TV movies, including “The Children of Times Square” (1986) and “Caroline?” (1990).
Cates’ acting career slowed down in the mid-1990s as she shifted her focus to her family. She married Kevin Kline in 1989 and the couple has two children together. Cates also became involved in running a boutique in New York City called Blue Tree, which specialized in unique and hard-to-find items.
Despite her reduced profile in the entertainment industry, Cates remains a beloved figure among fans of 1980s cinema. Her performances in films like “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” and “Gremlins” have become iconic, and her natural beauty and charm continue to captivate audiences.
- Phoebe Cates’ full name is Phoebe Belle Cates Kline, as she took her husband Kevin Kline’s last name when they got married.
- In addition to her work in acting and fashion, Cates has also done some philanthropic work. She has been involved with the Children’s Health Fund, which provides healthcare to underserved children in the United States, and has served on the board of directors for the organization.
- Cates was once considered for the role of Vivian Ward in the 1990 film “Pretty Woman,” but ultimately lost the part to Julia Roberts.
- Cates retired from acting in the mid-1990s in order to focus on raising her family and running her boutique. However, she has made a few occasional appearances on screen since then, including a guest role on the TV series “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” in 2003.
- Cates has been recognized for her contributions to the entertainment industry with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She was honored with the accolade in 1994, and her star can be found at 7000 Hollywood Boulevard.
- Cates’ daughter, Greta Kline, is a musician who performs under the stage name Frankie Cosmos. She has released several albums and has gained a following in the indie music scene.
Other Noteworthy Personalities
- Tommy Kono – Greatest American Weightlifter
- Masako Katsura – The First Lady Of Billiards
- Amanda Aldridge – British Opera Singer
- Hisaye Yamamoto – American Author
- Anne McLaren – British Geneticist
- Louise Jean McCary – Daughter of Actress Emma Stone
- Jaya Kelly – Popular American Singer And Daughter Of R Kelly
- Notti Osama – The Untold Story
- Kim Taehyung – South Korean Singer
- Kelly Piquet – Max Verstappen’s Brazilian Girlfriend
- Claudia Heffner Peltz – The Third Wife Of Nelson Peltz
- Finley Aaron Love Lockwood – Elvis Presley’s Granddaughter
- Clara Chía Martí – Barcelona Star Gerard Piqué New Girlfriend
- Kylian Mbappé’s Girlfriend – Know Her Secret Life
- Harper Vivienne Ann Lockwood – Lisa Marie Presley’s Daughter With Michael Lockwood
- William Shaner – American Olympic Sports Shooter
- Ángela Peralta – Opera Singer
- Ildaura Murillo-Rohde – Panamanian Nurse
- Edmond Dédé – American Musician And Composer
- Michiyo Tsujimura – Japanese Agricultural Scientist
- Jackie Sandler – American Model And Actress
- Dylan Arnold – American Actor
- Willa Fitzgerald – American actress
- Jessica Darrow – American Actress And Singer