The $35 billion vaccine market has grown sixfold over the past two decades. The industry has consolidated to four big players that account for about 85% of the market — British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline, French pharmaceutical company Sanofi, and U.S.-based Merck and Pfizer.
- EXPLOSIVE: Here’s what was uncovered in Hunter Biden’s iCloud Hack
- MAJOR PEER REVIEWED STUDY: Moderna Vaccine Increases Myocarditis Risk By 44 Times In Young Adults
- MUST READ: High Level International Bankers Simulate The Collapse Of Global Financial System
- BIG STORY: Wuhan Lab Isolated Monkeypox Strain In 2020
- EXPLOSIVE: Ukraine Biolabs Used Fever Carrying Mosquitoes To Spark Dengue Pandemic In Cuba
- EXCLUSIVE: Coronavirus Bioweapon – How China Stole Coronavirus From Canada And Weaponized It (watch here Visualizing The Secret History Of Coronavirus)
- Watch the exclusive interview of Bioweapons Expert Dr. Francis Boyle on Coronavirus Biological Warfare blocked by the Deep State
The coronavirus outbreak is bringing attention to the fast-growing vaccine industry.
The vaccine market has grown sixfold over the past two decades, worth more than $35 billion today, according to AB Bernstein. The firm said the industry has consolidated to four big players that account for about 85% of the market — British drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline, French pharmaceutical company Sanofi, and U.S.-based Merck and Pfizer.
“For every dollar invested in vaccination in the world’s 94 lowest-income countries, the net return is $44. Hard to argue against,” Wimal Kapadia, Bernstein’s analyst, said in a note. “This oligopoly has been built through significant market consolidation driven primarily by the complexities of the manufacturing and supply chain.”
These companies have jumped into the race to combat the deadly coronavirus, working on vaccine or drug programs. Investors have been flocking to some biotech names amid market volatility in hopes that their initiatives to develop treatment and prevention for the coronavirus could come to fruition at some point.
Subscribe to GreatGameIndia
Sanofi is teaming up with the U.S. government to develop a vaccine for the new virus, hoping its work on the 2003 SARS outbreak could speed up the process. GlaxoSmithKline said this month it is partnering with the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations for a vaccine program.
EXCLUSIVE#Coronavirus Bioweapon Thread
How China Stole Coronavirus From Canada And Weaponized Ithttps://t.co/tc7W2DrmAA
— GreatGameIndia (@GreatGameIndia) January 27, 2020
Still, any commercial treatment for the coronavirus could be years away. Experts have warned despite recent advances, the public shouldn’t expect a coronavirus vaccine to hit the market until early next year.
The Bernstein analyst said Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline both have a stable vaccine portfolio, including shingles, flu, pertussis and polio vaccines, that will keep driving revenue.
Merck’s vaccine business generated $8.4 billion of revenues in 2019, the segment has been growing at an annual rate of 9% since 2010, according to Bernstein.
Its human papillomavirus vaccine Gardasil 9 will be “the biggest selling vaccine of all time,” Kapadia said. “Gardasil 9 will take over the HPV market given competition is limited – supply is the only decelerator.”
For Pfizer, while its vaccine business has stagnated in recent years, its pipeline has “blockbuster potential,” the analyst noted.
“Vaccines are long-lived assets, have high barriers to entry, typically stable/growing pricing, mostly limited competition and no patent cliff,” Kapadia said.
To be sure, while vaccine companies can see periods of high growth, real innovation is needed to be long-standing winners in a market that requires major capital and faces cheaper alternatives from emerging markets, the analyst cautioned.
Yun Li for CNBC
- EXCLUSIVE: Coronavirus Bioweapon – How China Stole Coronavirus From Canada And Weaponized It
- ASSASSINATION: Key Coronavirus Investigation Scientist Frank Plummer Assassinated
- INTERVIEW: Dr. Francis Boyle Creator Of BioWeapons Act Says Coronavirus Is Biological Warfare Weapon
- CENSORED: Were Coronavirus Samples Destroyed By China To Coverup The Outbreak?
- Chinese Biological Warfare Agent: Dr. Xiangguo Qiu
- Bio-Espionage: Chinese Researchers Caught Stealing Coronavirus From Canadian Lab
- Bio-Espionage: Chinese Biowarfare Agents At Harvard University Caught Smuggling Viruses
- GGI IMPACT: White House To Investigate If Coronavirus Was Weaponized
- INVESTIGATION: India To Investigate Wuhan Institute Of Virology
- BOOK: Wuhan-400 Coronavirus – 1981 Novel Predicts Virus Origin
- Scientific Investigation On Mysterious Origin Of Coronavirus: COVID19 Files
- TOP SECRET: China’s Secret Plan To Weaponize Viruses
- Taiwan Intelligence: SARS – A Chinese Bioweapon
- Bio-Warfare: Weaponizing Biotech – China’s War for Biological Dominance
- Bio-Warfare: Rise Of China’s Biological Warfare Program
- STUDY: Indian Scientists Discover Coronavirus Engineered With HIV Like Insertions
- VACCINE: The $35 Billion Vaccine Market
- VACCINE: China Using HIV Drugs For Coronavirus Treatment
- DIAGNOSIS: CT Scan – Best Diagnosis For Coronavirus
- Bio-Espionage: Canada Investigates China’s Biological Espionage
- Epicentre Of Coronavirus: Wuhan Institute Of Virology
- BOMBSHELL REPORT: How Coronavirus Leaked From Wuhan Laboratory
- China’s P4 Lab: How China France Alliance Created Wuhan’s Bioweapons Laboratory
- Shincheonji Church: Secret Cult Linked To Coronavirus Outbreak In South Korea
- Exclusive Interview Of Former Virologist: Coronavirus Coverup
- Bioweapons Expert Dr. Francis Boyle On Coronavirus: TRANSCRIPT
- Coronavirus Origin: US Senator Tom Cotton Questions Mainstream Media’s Narrative
- Caixin Report: Tracking The Source Of New Coronavirus Gene Sequencing
- STUDY: Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag
- STUDY: A novel coronavirus capable of lethal human infections: an emerging picture
- VACCINE: Biotechs Working On Coronavirus Vaccine
- VACCINE: Can Gilead’s Remdesivir Treat Coronavirus?
- VACCINE: Washington Pledges $1 Billion For Coronavirus Vaccine
GreatGameIndia is a journal on Geopolitics and International Relations. Get to know the Geopolitical threats India is facing in our exclusive book India in Cognitive Dissonance. Past magazine issues can be accessed from the Archives section.
Read more on Chinese Biological and Chemical warfare activities against India in our exclusive History of Narco-Terrorism issue.