Read this report in: हिन्दी
One of Canada’s top scientists says he’s surprised and dismayed an “administrative matter” resulted in the sudden eviction of a prominent Chinese Canadian virologist, her biologist husband, and her students from Canada’s only level-4 lab in Winnipeg and prompted an RCMP investigation.
- EXCLUSIVE: Coronavirus Bioweapon – How China Stole Coronavirus From Canada And Weaponized It (watch here Visualizing The Secret History Of Coronavirus)
- Watch the exclusive interview of Bioweapons Expert Dr. Francis Boyle on Coronavirus Biological Warfare blocked by the Deep State
“I think it’s unfortunate. It’s all speculation. We have no idea what the investigation is about. The fact the RCMP is involved to me doesn’t mean anything at all, because they just need somebody external to their investigation,” said Gary Kobinger, professor in the Department of Microbiology and Infectious Diseases and director of the Research Centre on Infectious Diseases at Laval University in Quebec.
Sources say Xiangguo Qiu, biologist Keding Cheng, and an unknown number of Qiu’s students were escorted from the National Microbiology Lab (NML) and their security access revoked on July 5.
Qiu is head of the Vaccine Development and Antiviral Therapies Section in the Special Pathogens Program.
Kobinger said it’s procedure to escort someone from the building if they don’t have a security badge that allows them access.
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) will only confirm it referred an “administrative matter” involving a possible “policy breach” to the RCMP on May 24.
Neither PHAC nor the RCMP are providing further details, citing privacy concerns.
China's Biological Warfare Program include the full range of traditional chemical and biological agents with a wide variety of delivery systems including artillery rockets, aerial bombs, sprayers, and short-range ballistic missiles. #coronoavirushttps://t.co/7qpDNNmqk7
— GreatGameIndia (@GreatGameIndia) January 24, 2020
Qiu, Cheng and the students all originally come from China.
There has been speculation the case involves the improper transfer of intellectual property or biological materials to China. The NML is Canada’s only level-4 facility and one of only a few in North America equipped to handle the world’s deadliest diseases, including Ebola.
However, Kobinger does not believe Xiangguo Qiu was involved in economic espionage.
“The Chinese, do you see the science they’ve been generating in the past 5 years?” he asked, adding most of the research is published publicly.
“The Chinese – they have so many scientists, it’s unreal. What we can do in six months, they can do in a month. There is nothing, nothing, nothing that I can see from my side that they would benefit from us in terms of knowledge, in terms of re-agents,” Kobinger said. “They have better access to pathogens, everything else, the vaccine, therapies, everything.”
— GreatGameIndia (@GreatGameIndia) January 25, 2020
He believes it may be a case of paperwork filled out incorrectly or the breach of a government policy created by bureaucrats who don’t understand how science works.
Or, he adds, it could be a question of mandate because the role of the lab has always been unclear – some say it should just do diagnostics while others believe it should do research.
Until he left the NML three years ago, Qui worked with Kobinger to develop ZMapp, a treatment for Ebola that was successfully used during the outbreak in West Africa in 2014-16. (The World Health Organization declared the latest Ebola outbreak a global health emergency last week.)
Kobinger and Qiu have been recognized for their work, including a Governor General’s Innovation Award in 2018.
Kobinger said he reached out to Xiangguo Qiu by email after hearing the news and she thanked him for his support.
He wishes PHAC could provide a little more information to settle the speculation going on internationally.
“[Qiu’s] body of work is solid. I don’t think it’s going to damage it. But her reputation, I think so, yeah,” Kobinger said in a phone interview.
“If I was in her place, I don’t know if I would ever go back. I would not,” Kobinger said. “So she can take the phone and find a lab anywhere in the world, tomorrow. People may not realize, when you are a top scientist, it’s not hard to move.”
Neither Qiu nor Cheng could be reached for comment.
All of this comes at a time when relations between Canada and China are strained.
Last December, Canada arrested Chinese Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou on a U.S warrant. In retaliation, China has arrested two Canadian men on espionage charges, sentenced a third to death for drug offenses, and shut down imports of Canadian canola and meat.
Kobinger hopes Xiangguo Qiu and her team are not caught unfairly in the middle of a diplomatic dispute.
“Everyone benefits from working together, that’s the nature of science. Again, I think there is clearly other issues that are completely unrelated to scientific research,” he said.
#FrankPlummer – renowned Winnipeg based Canadian National Microbiology Laboratory scientist key to #Coronavirus investigation has died in mysterious conditions in Africa. He was the one who received Saudi SARS Coronavirus sample which was smuggled to Wuhanhttps://t.co/VjvQMURTyT
— GreatGameIndia (@GreatGameIndia) February 6, 2020
This case has similarities to investigations in the U.S., where authorities have been investigating and warning about the danger of scientists and academics with Chinese connections sharing intellectual property and trade secrets with Beijing. Several have been forced from their positions at American universities and institutions.
The Canadian Security Intelligence Service and NATO have also warned of state-sponsored espionage.
In 2014, Canada claimed China was responsible for a cyber attack on the National Research Council.
· CBC News ·
GreatGameIndia Coronavirus Coverage
For latest updates on the outbreak check out our Coronavirus Coverage.
- EXCLUSIVE: Coronavirus Bioweapon – How China Stole Coronavirus From Canada And Weaponized It
- ASSASSINATION: Key Coronavirus Investigation Scientist Frank Plummer Assassinated
- INTERVIEW: Dr. Francis Boyle Creator Of BioWeapons Act Says Coronavirus Is Biological Warfare Weapon
- CENSORED: Were Coronavirus Samples Destroyed By China To Coverup The Outbreak?
- Chinese Biological Warfare Agent: Dr. Xiangguo Qiu
- Bio-Espionage: Chinese Researchers Caught Stealing Coronavirus From Canadian Lab
- Bio-Espionage: Chinese Biowarfare Agents At Harvard University Caught Smuggling Viruses
- GGI IMPACT: White House To Investigate If Coronavirus Was Weaponized
- INVESTIGATION: India To Investigate Wuhan Institute Of Virology
- BOOK: Wuhan-400 Coronavirus – 1981 Novel Predicts Virus Origin
- Scientific Investigation On Mysterious Origin Of Coronavirus: COVID19 Files
- TOP SECRET: China’s Secret Plan To Weaponize Viruses
- Taiwan Intelligence: SARS – A Chinese Bioweapon
- Bio-Warfare: Weaponizing Biotech – China’s War for Biological Dominance
- Bio-Warfare: Rise Of China’s Biological Warfare Program
- STUDY: Indian Scientists Discover Coronavirus Engineered With HIV Like Insertions
- VACCINE: China Using HIV Drugs For Coronavirus Treatment
- DIAGNOSIS: CT Scan – Best Diagnosis For Coronavirus
- Bio-Espionage: Canada Investigates China’s Biological Espionage
- Epicentre Of Coronavirus: Wuhan Institute Of Virology
- BOMBSHELL REPORT: How Coronavirus Leaked From Wuhan Laboratory
- China’s P4 Lab: How China France Alliance Created Wuhan’s Bioweapons Laboratory
- Shincheonji Church: Secret Cult Linked To Coronavirus Outbreak In South Korea
- Exclusive Interview Of Former Virologist: Coronavirus Coverup
- Bioweapons Expert Dr. Francis Boyle On Coronavirus: TRANSCRIPT
- Coronavirus Origin: US Senator Tom Cotton Questions Mainstream Media’s Narrative
- Caixin Report: Tracking The Source Of New Coronavirus Gene Sequencing
- STUDY: Uncanny similarity of unique inserts in the 2019-nCoV spike protein to HIV-1 gp120 and Gag
- STUDY: A novel coronavirus capable of lethal human infections: an emerging picture
Read more on Chinese Biological and Chemical warfare activities against India in our exclusive History of Narco-Terrorism issue.
GreatGameIndia is a journal on Geopolitics and International Relations. Get to know the Geopolitical threats India is facing in our exclusive book India in Cognitive Dissonance. Past magazine issues can be accessed from the Archives section.