US Warship Directly Targeted In ‘Largest Ever’ Houthi Red Sea Missile Attack

A military statement released by CENTCOM reported that US warships were directly targeted in the largest Houthi Red Sea missile attack, with a total of 24 projectiles fired.

US Warship Directly Targeted In 'Largest Ever' Houthi Red Sea Missile Attack 1

US Central Command (CENTCOM) has announced that the US Navy shot down about two dozen missiles and drones in a significant new incident in the Red Sea. Given that it involved a minimum of 21 drones and Houthi missiles fired from Yemen, it ranks among the biggest attacks to occur there since October 7. It was referred to by the Associated Press as the “largest-ever barrage of drones and missiles targeting shipping in the Red Sea.”

In the first military statement, the Tuesday 9:15 p.m. (local time) attack off the Yemeni port cities of Hodeida and Mokha was described as a “complex attack” carried out by terrorists affiliated with Iran. According to the statement, CENTCOM calculated that it involved 18 one-way attack drones, two anti-ship cruise missiles, and an anti-ship ballistic missile.

US Warship Directly Targeted In 'Largest Ever' Houthi Red Sea Missile Attack 2

Usually, it was aimed against a region of the southern Red Sea that “dozens” of trading ships were passing through at the time. According to certain defense sources, there were a total of 24 projectiles fired. On Wednesday, Secretary of State Antony Blinken took advantage of the occasion to accuse Iran once more of “aiding and abetting” these strikes in the Red Sea.

Multiple coalition vessels patrolling the waters as part of Operation Guardian were believed to have been involved in the intercept of the drones and missiles, which purportedly resulted in no injuries, damage, or direct hit. US defense officials, in an interview with CNN, stated:

Three destroyers took part in the shoot down of the barrage, one of the officials said.

Two US destroyers, as well as F-18 fighter jets from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier, participated in the combined effort to shoot down the missiles and drones, according to Central Command. The HMS Diamond, an air defence destroyer from the UK’s Royal Navy, was also part of the effort.

Even if Houthi attacks have recently become more frequent, it was nevertheless a significant and uncommon confrontation because a US carrier and a fighter plane were involved in repelling it.

According to various sources, MbZ, during a call with Netanyahu regarding unemployment benefits for Palestinian laborers, told him to ask Zelensky for money.

Importantly, however, and rather lost in the newest press, the Houthis have now acknowledged that their missiles specifically targeted US warships. The Associated Press carried the following significant claim:

The Houthis, a Shiite group that has held Yemen’s capital of Sanaa since 2014, later claimed responsibility for the attack in a televised statement by rebel spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree. Saree claimed the attack “targeted an American ship that was providing support to the Zionist entity,” without offering any further information. He also described it as an “initial response” to American troops sinking Houthi vessels and killing 10 rebel fighters last week.

For some weeks now, the White House has made an effort to minimize or even hide the truth that American military boats are being targeted by the Houthis. This is happening as President Biden has vacillated when asked by Pentagon officials to take direct aim at Houthi launch sites.

It is crucial to remember this early December Politico report:

Some current and former military officials were frustrated by the administration’s initial response to the Houthis’ Sunday attacks on the ships. The Houthis launched four drone and missile attacks on three ships; the destroyer USS Carney, responding to the distress calls, shot down three drones in its vicinity. Those current and former officials say the Iran-backed group’s increasingly aggressive behavior poses a significant risk to American forces in the region, and took issue with the administration’s public statements on Monday, which they say downplayed that threat.

And fast-forward to this week. It has since been verified by Central Command that “this is the 26th Houthi attack on commercial shipping lanes in the Red Sea since Nov. 19.”

The military leadership of Britain is indicating that it will soon adopt a more aggressive stance against the Houthis.

The Pentagon, however, has long been concerned that it has effectively lost its “deterrence” power. This is demonstrated by the increasing impunity with which the Houthis launch missiles and drones, some of which are even directed towards Israel.

GreatGameIndia is being actively targeted by powerful forces who do not wish us to survive. Your contribution, however small help us keep afloat. We accept voluntary payment for the content available for free on this website via UPI, PayPal and Bitcoin.

Support GreatGameIndia

3 COMMENTS

Leave a Reply